Tuesday, August 10, 2010

30 Days of Hope: Day 27 - Change


Change.

That word conjures up different images for different people. To some, change is a princess to be won, a foe to be conquered. To others, change is a tornado or hurricane blowing through one's life destroying eveything in its path.

Arno loves change -- BIG changes. In 2005, he moved to America, he became a children/youth pastor, we started dating, and then we got married in less than 5 months...THEN he wanted to start getting into real estate! :) However, when we go out to eat, especially at our "regulars", Arno has all of 2-3 items that he will EVER order off of a menu. He almost always takes the same route home every day. He will wear the same tie with the same shirt every time although he has a variety to pick from.

I am the EXACT opposite! BIG changes and decisions FREAK ME OUT!! When Arno wanted to research real estate options...I said, "Please give me a break -- enough changes and new things for one year." When we finally started to look into buying a house about a year ago and started closing in on our deal, I felt more and more freaked and told Arno, "It's on you, Baby, because I just don't know and I am scared to death." However, I love to try new foods, wear random combinations in my clothing style, attempt "some" variety with my hair (hey, I AM a red head now), find new cool hangout places, etc.

And somehow these differences work for us....we learn from each other and push & challenge each other and also have grace for each other. This opposite balance has helped us to weather the ups and downs that we have experienced in the last 5 years.

Arno will always play it safe in the little things, but find joy in my ability to find variety in the most random things. I will always be scared of BIG change, but Arno is so sure -- so I am learning to trust in him as he leads our home through the leading of the Holy Spirit.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step - Lao Tse

so......

If you don't like something, change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it. - Mary Engelbreit

How do you feel about change? Are you more like me or more like Arno? Somewhere in between? Weigh in below.....

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails