Wednesday, August 4, 2010

30 Days of Hope: Day 21 - It's Hard Being a Grown Up


Hope was easy when I was a kid.


I hoped for a Rainbow Brite doll. On my 6th birthday, my Aunt Paula gave it to me.

I dreamed of being a ballerina one day. When I was 12 years old, I took dance classes.

I longed to around my extended family. When I was 16, I got to live with my Aunt Bonnie for a year while graduating from high school.

As a "grown up", things don't always happen as easily or as quickly. Maybe that is because our requests & desires are MUCH bigger, maybe it is because Mommy & Daddy can't just "fix it" like they could when we were little, or maybe it is God teaching us to depend on Him.

It might be for 100 different reasons, but a big one for me is that the reason we lose hope is because we lose the wonder of seeing life through the eyes of a child. As a little girl, all people, animals, flowers, trees, etc were my friends. I woke up each day with the excitement of the possibility of what that day would hold. I expected all people to be kind & nice & generous. I thought of the world as a place full of adventures to be discovered. I found 1000's of things to laugh over every day.

Then I grew up and got caught up in life, questions, future, money, practical stuff, etc....and sometimes instead of hope, despair and fear become closer companions. So what do we do?

I read this Scripture today on my Aunt Paula's Facebook page (yes...my Rainbow Brite gift-giver):

John 14:27 (New International Version)
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.


It has been my mantra for the day. Peace....peace.....peace.......In my grown up world filled with grown up decisions, my Father in Heaven isn't worried...He already has a plan....so I can walk in His peace today with hope for the future.

And SO CAN YOU!!

Here is my prayer for me and for you today:

Romans 15:13 (New Living Translation)
I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.


Receive His love, His peace, His joy today -- and renew that childlike hope!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Beautiful!! I feel encouraged. I love you so much, Lyns.

Mr. Roberts' Neighborhood said... Best Blogger Tips

I believe hope fades because we are not Home and Home cannot be found in this world. We have much optimism when we are young, but with each hurt and loss we experience, our hope tends to fade. As you affirmed, our hope should always be alive because we are part of God's perfect plan. Each step we take through this difficult life brings us closer to Home, our loving Father, and all He has promised.

Lindsey V said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, Keith....good words and so true...

Anonymous...I am sure I love you but who are you?? :) :) :)

LoneWolf48 said... Best Blogger Tips

I believe hope fades because we are not Home and Home cannot be found in this world. We have much optimism when we are young, but with each hurt and loss we experience, our hope tends to fade. As you affirmed, our hope should always be alive because we are part of God's perfect plan. Each step we take through this difficult life brings us closer to Home, our loving Father, and all He has promised.

Related Posts with Thumbnails